Sunday, December 7, 2008

Josiah's Hospital Stay

Josiah and I are home from an exhausting hospital stay over the weekend. Josiah was admitted to the hospital at 3pm on Friday afternoon. He is doing better now, but Friday afternoon he was struggling to breathe. He was coughing persistently with no rest all night Thursday night and Friday morning he was wheezing. It sounded horrible. He was even complaining about his stomach being "ouy" because he had been coughing for so long. I did not realize it was as bad as to admit him to the hospital though. I took him without really preparing anything. Thankfully, Travis' mother came as soon as she heard Josiah was being admitted. I am so grateful because I could not leave Josiah alone to go get anything. It was a logistical nightmare. We stayed there for two nights. Trying to keep a 21 month old happy and contained while being bound by IV is very hard. I have a new soft spot for any parent with a young in the hospital. God was very much showing His love for us throughout our time though. He showed us even in the little things His timing is perfect. I am thankful.
Here is another instance that I am thankful for our portable DVR. All Josiah wanted to watch was Dora. All Dora All the time! But it helped a lot to calm him down to rest.

This is Josiah's poor hand that they covered well so that he would not bother it. It did work. God answered my prayer in this instance because I was nervous about when they were putting it in. I prayed that he would not react badly and that it went in the first time. Both were answered. He did not scream at all. He barely even said anything. He handled the needles well. He did not however handle oral medication or the nebulizer well at all, both of which we have to do at home for several days. So please pray that he gets used to these things. Josiah is very strong so it's hard to hold him down, especially with the nedulizer which will take about 20 minutes at home where it only took maybe 5 minutes at the hospital!

Travis and Abigail are doing okay. Travis has taken a few steps back though in his recovery of his sickness. He may need more medication to wipe it out. He was so sick that we were unable to travel home from his parents house last weekend so he missed church for the first time ever due to sickness. Abigail has a double ear infection that she's healing from this week as well. So I am the only healthy one and I pray that it will stay that way!

Thanks for your prayers!

1 comment:

Kristie said...

Mitzi,

I am so glad to hear that little Josiah is home and doing better. I pray that everyone else gets healthy soon.
Love,
Kristie